Recently, podcasting has become popular for storytelling, education, and entertainment. With the rise of smartphones and affordable audio equipment, creating and publishing your podcast is easier than ever.
However, to produce a high-quality podcast, you need to have the right tools at your disposal. That’s where podcast software comes in. Whether you’re just starting or a seasoned podcaster, having the right software can make all the difference in the quality of your podcast.
In this article, we’ll explore 15 of the best podcast software options available in 2023 for editing and recording your show.
- Audacity is a free, open-source digital audio editor and recording application that allows users to manipulate, edit, and record audio files. It is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux operating systems.
- Audacity offers a range of features for users to create and edit audio files. Some of its key features include:
- Audacity allows users to record audio directly from their microphone, line input, or other sources.
- Users can edit audio files by cutting, copying, and pasting audio segments, as well as adjusting the volume, pitch, and speed of audio tracks.
- Audacity offers a wide range of audio effects, including equalization, distortion, and noise reduction, as well as plugins for additional effects.
- Users can mix multiple audio tracks, adjust the volume and panning of each track, and export the final mix as a single audio file.
- Audacity supports various audio file formats, including WAV, MP3, AIFF, and Ogg Vorbis.
- Audacity includes accessibility features such as support for keyboard shortcuts and screen reader compatibility.
Audacity is free to download and use, and there are no restrictions on the number of projects or the amount of Time spent using the software. It is also available in several different languages.
Adobe Audition is a professional audio editing software that allows users to create, edit, and mix audio content for various purposes, such as music production, podcasting, radio, television, film, and more. The software is part of the Adobe Creative Cloud suite and is available on both Mac and Windows platforms.
Audition offers a comprehensive set of audio editing tools, including waveform editing, spectral frequency display, audio restoration, noise reduction, and more. Users can easily edit audio files, remove unwanted sounds, and enhance audio quality using various effects.
The software allows users to mix multiple audio tracks into a single audio file. Users can easily adjust each track’s volume, pan, and other parameters to create a perfect mix.
With Audition, users can create sound effects and design audio for films, videos, and games. The software offers a wide range of audio effects and filters that can be used to create unique sound designs.
Audition provides all the necessary tools for creating, editing, and publishing podcasts. Users can record, edit, and mix their podcasts and easily export them to various platforms.
Audition integrates seamlessly with other Adobe Creative Cloud applications such as Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Photoshop. Users can easily import and export audio files between different applications.
Adobe Audition is available as part of the Adobe Creative Cloud suite. There are several pricing plans available for individuals, teams, and enterprises. The individual plan starts at $20.99 per month, while the team plan starts at $34.99 per month per user
Hindenburg Journalist is a professional audio editing software for journalists, podcasters, and other audio storytellers. It allows users to easily create and edit high-quality audio content, providing a range of tools and features that make the process faster, smoother, and more efficient.
- Hindenburg Journalist is a non-destructive editing software that preserves the original audio files while allowing users to make changes and edits.
- The software has a voice profiler feature that helps balance the audio levels and reduce background noise.
- Hindenburg Journalist automatically adjusts the volume levels of different audio clips, making maintaining a consistent volume throughout a project easier.
- This feature automatically applies equalization to the audio files, enhancing their clarity and reducing unwanted frequencies.
- Once the project is completed, users can publish it to various platforms, including SoundCloud, FTP, and iTunes, with just one click.
- Hindenburg Journalist is designed to work seamlessly with other software, including Skype, Dropbox, and Adobe Audition.
- The software allows users to conduct remote interviews and record them in high-quality audio.
Hindenburg Journalist is available in two versions: Hindenburg Journalist PRO and Hindenburg Journalist BASIC.
- Hindenburg Journalist BASIC: This version is priced at $99 and is suitable for individual journalists and podcasters. It provides basic audio editing and mixing features but lacks some of the more advanced features available in the PRO version.
- Hindenburg Journalist PRO: This version is priced at $399 and is designed for professional audio producers and broadcasters. It includes all the features available in the BASIC version and additional tools for advanced editing, mixing, and sound design.
GarageBand is a digital audio workstation (DAW) software Apple Inc. developed. It is available exclusively for Apple’s macOS and iOS operating systems. The software is designed to enable users to create music or podcasts using virtual instruments, loops, and recording tools.
- GarageBand provides a vast library of virtual instruments, such as drum kits, guitars, keyboards, and synthesizers, which users can use to create music.
- GarageBand also offers a collection of pre-recorded audio loops in various genres, including hip-hop, rock, electronic, and more, allowing users to create music easily.
- The software allows users to record audio from external sources such as microphones and instruments. Users can edit the audio tracks using tools like equalizers, compressors, and audio effects.
- GarageBand also features a section called “Learn to Play,” which offers interactive music lessons for guitar and piano.
- GarageBand is compatible with other Apple software, such as Logic Pro, making it easy for users to transfer projects between the two applications.
- GarageBand supports iCloud, allowing users to save their projects on iCloud and access them on other Apple devices.
GarageBand is free to download and use for all macOS and iOS users. There are no hidden fees or in-app purchases.
Reaper is a digital audio workstation (DAW) software for music production, audio editing, and sound design. It was developed by Cockos Incorporated and was first released in 2005. Reaper is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux, and it’s known for its powerful features and affordability.
- Reaper has a highly customizable user interface, allowing users to create their menus, toolbars, and keyboard shortcuts. Users can also switch between light and dark themes.
- Reaper supports unlimited tracks and allows users to edit and mix audio in real Time with a range of built-in tools, such as EQ, compression, and reverberation.
- Reaper also offers MIDI sequencing and editing, with various MIDI editing tools for editing notes, velocity, and timing.
- Reaper features powerful automation tools that enable users to automate nearly any parameter in real Time.
- Reaper has a wide range of built-in plugins and effects, including a suite of mastering tools, virtual instruments, and guitar amps and effects.
- Reaper’s scripting engine allows users to create macros and scripts to automate tasks and customize the software to their needs.
- Reaper supports a wide range of audio formats, including WAV, MP3, and FLAC, and it can work with the most popular audio interfaces and controllers.
Reaper offers a flexible licensing model with a 60-day free trial. After the trial period, users can purchase a discounted license for $60 for personal use or $225 for commercial use.
6) Logic Pro
Logic Pro is a digital audio workstation (DAW) software Apple Inc. developed. It is designed for professional music production, recording, editing, and mixing. The software is available exclusively for the macOS operating system and is widely used in the music industry for its advanced features and intuitive workflow.
- Logic Pro allows you to record audio and MIDI tracks with high quality, using a variety of input sources, including microphones, instruments, and external hardware.
- The software provides a range of powerful editing tools, including Flex Time, which allows you to adjust the timing and tempo of your recordings, and Flex Pitch, which enables you to tune your vocal and instrument tracks.
- You can mix your tracks with precision and control with Logic Pro. The software includes professional-grade mixing tools like EQ, compression, reverb, and delay.
- The software has many virtual instruments, including synthesizers, drum machines, samplers, and orchestral sounds. These instruments can create a wide range of musical styles and genres.
- Logic Pro includes a large sound library with thousands of loops, samples, and presets. These can be used to add depth and texture to your productions.
Logic Pro is available on the Mac App Store for a one-time fee of $199.99. The software also comes bundled with the Apple Pro Apps Bundle for Education, which includes Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, and MainStage, and is available to qualifying students and educators for $199.99
7) Pro Tools
Pro Tools is a digital audio workstation (DAW) software developed and produced by Avid Technology, which is designed to handle audio recording, editing, and mixing. It is a widely used software in the music and audio production industry, ranging from music production to post-production and audio for film, television, and gaming.
- Pro Tools offers multitrack audio recording, which enables users to record multiple audio sources simultaneously. The software supports various audio formats and resolutions, from 16-bit to 32-bit float and up to 192kHz sample rates.
- The software offers a range of audio editing tools, including cut, copy, paste, and trim. It also provides more advanced editing capabilities like Elastic Time, which allows users to manipulate audio timing and tempo without altering the pitch.
- Pro Tools offers a powerful mixing console where users can adjust levels, panning, and add effects to audio tracks. The software also provides advanced automation tools, allowing users to automate various parameters in real Time.
- Pro Tools has many built-in audio effects and processing plugins, including EQ, compression, reverb, and delay. Additionally, users can purchase and install third-party plugins from the Avid Marketplace.
- Pro Tools allows users to collaborate with others in real-time, regardless of location, using the Cloud Collaboration feature. It also offers version control, so users can track changes and revisions to a project.
The subscription options include the following:
Pro Tools Artist: $10 per month
Pro Tools Studio: $30 per month
Pro Tools Ultimate: $100 per month
TwistedWave is a powerful and user-friendly audio editing software that allows users to easily edit audio files. The software is available for macOS, iOS, and web-based platforms, making it accessible to users across different devices.
- TwistedWave allows users to edit multiple audio tracks simultaneously, making it easy to create complex audio mixes.
- The software includes a range of effects and filters that can be applied to audio files, including noise reduction, EQ, compression, and more.
- Users can simultaneously apply effects and filters to multiple audio files, saving Time and effort.
- TwistedWave includes tools for removing clicks, crackles, and other unwanted noise from audio recordings.
- Users can record audio directly into TwistedWave, making it a great tool for recording and editing podcasts, voiceovers, and music.
- TwistedWave can be integrated with other software and services, such as Dropbox and SoundCloud, making sharing and collaborating on audio files easy.
- Mac version: a one-time purchase of $99.90
- iOS version: available for free with limited functionality, full version available as an in-app purchase for $9.99
- Web-version: a subscription-based service, with pricing starting at $9.90/month or $69.90/year. A free trial is available for new users.
Alitu is an online audio production software designed to simplify creating podcasts. It offers a range of features that help users produce professional-quality podcasts without needing technical expertise or expensive equipment.
Alitu automatically edits audio files, including removing unwanted noise, normalizing volume levels, and adding intros and outros.
Users can mix and master their audio files with Alitu’s easy-to-use drag-and-drop interface, which allows for adding background music, sound effects, and transitions.
Alitu can host and publish podcasts on popular platforms such as Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts, making it easy to share with a wide audience.
Users can collaborate with others on their podcasts, allowing multiple hosts and guests to contribute to the podcast production process.
Alitu’s planning and scheduling tools help users organize their podcast episodes and publish them regularly.
The software includes analytics tools that track podcast metrics such as listens and downloads, providing insight into the success of a podcast.
- Alitu offers a 7-day free trial for new users.
- The paid plan costs $38/month.
Descript is a video and audio editing software that offers a unique approach to the editing process by utilizing a text-based interface. The software combines traditional editing features with various tools that allow users to manipulate the text transcript of their audio and video files.
- Users can edit the text transcript of their audio and video files, making it easy to remove unwanted content, add captions or subtitles, and generate new audio using the text.
- Descript allows users to edit multiple audio and video tracks simultaneously, making creating complex edits and mixes easy.
- The software can automatically transcribe audio and video files, saving Time and effort.
- Descript includes features that allow multiple users to work on the same project simultaneously, making collaborating with team members or clients easy.
- Users can export their edited audio or video files in various formats, including MP3, WAV, AIFF, and MP4.
- Descript utilizes artificial intelligence to offer voice cloning, noise reduction, and filler word removal features.
- Descript offers a free plan with limited features, including 3 hours of transcription per month.
- The standard plan costs $12 and The pro plan costs $24.
Zencastr is an online audio recording software specifically designed for podcasters, allowing them to record high-quality audio interviews with guests from anywhere in the world. The software includes various features that make it easy to produce professional-quality podcasts.
- Zencastr records audio in high-quality WAV format, ensuring that podcasts sound crisp and clear.
- Guests can be invited to record their audio from their location, making it easy to conduct interviews with people in different parts of the world.
- Zencastr automatically processes audio recordings, including removing unwanted noise, leveling volume levels, and applying compression, saving Time and effort.
- The software can be integrated with popular podcast hosting platforms such as Simplecast and Libsyn, making publishing and sharing podcasts easily.
- Users can monitor and edit their audio recordings in real Time, making it easy to catch and correct mistakes as they happen.
- Zencastr includes collaboration features that allow multiple users to work on the same project simultaneously, making collaborating with team members or clients easy.
- Zencastr offers a free plan with up to 8 hours of audio recording per month, but with limited features.
- The professional plan costs $20/month.
- The Growth plan costs $49/month .
SquadCast is a remote recording platform for podcasters, broadcasters, and content creators. It allows users to record high-quality audio and video interviews with guests or co-hosts regardless of location and then seamlessly merge the recordings into a single file.
- SquadCast uses advanced audio processing and noise reduction technology to capture studio-quality audio and video, ensuring every guest sounds as good as possible.
- Users can invite guests or co-hosts to join a recording session from anywhere in the world using a browser and internet connection.
- SquadCast automatically backs up all recordings to the cloud, ensuring that users never lose their work due to technical issues or data loss.
- Users can customize settings such as mic volume, headphone volume, and recording quality to suit their preferences.
- SquadCast integrates with various post-production tools, such as Audacity and Adobe Audition, making editing and producing high-quality podcast episodes easy.
SquadCast offers four pricing plans, depending on the needs of the user:
- Indie: $20/month
- Professional: $40/month
- Studio: $80/month
- Business: Custom pricing
Cleanfeed is an online audio recording and editing software designed to help podcasters, radio presenters, and other content creators record high-quality audio without any background noise. It is web-based software that can be used on any computer with an internet connection and a web browser.
- Cleanfeed offers high-quality audio recording with minimal background noise.
- Using a web browser, you can record audio from guests or co-hosts remotely.
- You can conduct live interviews, panels, and discussions with multiple remote guests.
- No need to download or install any software; Cleanfeed runs directly in your web browser.
- Cleanfeed automatically adjusts the volume of each participant’s audio to ensure everyone is recorded at the same level.
- You can run a sound check before recording to ensure everything works correctly.
- You can easily export your recordings as WAV or MP3 files.
Cleanfeed offers a free version that allows you to record up to 2 people for 30 minutes per session. There are no limitations on the number of sessions you can record. If you need more features, you can upgrade to Cleanfeed Pro for $34/per month.
Auphonic is an advanced audio and podcast processing software that helps you to enhance the quality of your audio recordings, podcasts, and music files. It offers an AI-based approach using machine learning algorithms to analyze and optimize the audio signal, producing professional and high-quality sound output.
- Auphonic offers a wide range of audio processing tools to clean up your audio, remove noise, adjust loudness, and balance the volume levels.
- The software has features specifically designed for podcasters, such as chapter marks, ID3 tags, and cover art management.
- Auphonic allows you to automate your audio processing tasks, so you can set up workflows to apply specific processing steps automatically to your audio files.
- The software integrates with many popular podcasting platforms, such as SoundCloud, Libsyn, and Blubrry, and video platforms, like YouTube and Vimeo.
- With Auphonic, you can process multiple files simultaneously, saving you much Time and effort.
Auphonic offers various pricing plans based on the number of monthly minutes you need to process, with a free trial option. The pricing plans start from as low as $11 per month for up to 3 hours of audio processing and go up to $89 per month for up to 100 hours. Custom pricing options are also available for businesses with larger processing needs.
Soundtrap is a cloud-based digital audio workstation (DAW) that allows users to create, collaborate, and share music and audio projects online. It offers an easy-to-use interface and a variety of tools and features to help musicians, podcasters, and other audio creators bring their ideas to life.
- Multitrack recording and editing
- Virtual instruments and loops library
- Built-in effects and mixing tools
- Collaboration and sharing features
- Accessible through a web browser or mobile app
- Integration with other audio software and platforms
Soundtrap offers several pricing plans, including a free basic plan with limited features and storage and paid plans with more advanced features and larger storage options. The paid plans include the following:
- Music Maker: $7/month
- Premium: $11/month
- Power Pack: $14/month
Many great podcast software options are available for recording and editing your show. Whether you’re just starting or are a seasoned podcaster, choosing the right tools to create high-quality content that engages your audience is important. Some of the best podcast recording and editing software options in 2023 include Audacity, GarageBand, Adobe Audition, Hindenburg Journalist, Reaper, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Zencastr, SquadCast, Descript, Alitu, Anchor, Podbean, Spreaker, Buzzsprout. With these tools, you’ll be well on your way to creating professional-sounding podcasts that stand out in a crowded market.
Podcast recording software is a tool used to capture audio content during a podcast recording session. This software can record individual or multiple tracks simultaneously, allowing for the creation of high-quality podcasts.
Some of the best podcast recording software options are Audacity, GarageBand, Hindenburg Journalist, Reaper, and Zencastr.
While recording a podcast using only basic computer programs is technically possible, the resulting audio quality may be poor. It’s recommended to use dedicated podcast recording software to ensure high-quality sound.
The best podcast editing software options include Adobe Audition, Auphonic, Hindenburg Journalist, Logic Pro X, and Pro Tools.
Some podcast software options, such as Audacity, GarageBand, and Hindenburg Journalist, can be used to record and edit a podcast. However, some podcasters prefer to use separate software for each task to achieve the best results.
While some podcasting software options may require a one-time or subscription-based purchase, there are also free options, such as Audacity and GarageBand. It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and podcasting needs.